The major fields of study in Health & Applied Sciences are:
- Medical Technology
Medical Technology involves the study of micro-organisms through the examination of body fluids, tissues, cells, chemical content of fluids, and blood samples.
This study is a multidisciplinary field that includes psychology, computer science, statistics physics and medicine in the scientific study of the nervous system and its components and functional activities at the molecular, cellular, system, behavioral, and cognitive levels.
- Food Science And Nutrition
Nutritional Science is the multidisciplinary study of food and the application of knowledge to the development of food products and processes, the preservation and storage of foods, the assurance of food safety and quality and its effect on metabolism, health, performance and disease resistance of humans and animals, including the study of human behaviours related to foods.
This study involves the planning of food and nutrition, supervising the preparation and serving of meals and also helps prevent and treat illnesses by promoting healthy eating habits, scientifically evaluating clients’ diets and suggesting diet medications.
This study focuses on practical applications of nursing that expands into the theoretical realms of patient care.
This study is the development of new devices, materials and structures that are well below the 1 micron size scale. The study explores the possibilities of detecting molecules of chemical warfare agents, creating a new generation of computer components, or making medical strides on the molecular level.
This study focuses on the theoretical and observational study of the structure, properties, and behavior of stars, star systems and clusters, stellar life cycles, and related phenomena. Astrophysicists interpret observational data with laws of physics and mathematics and include areas in cosmology, plasma kinetics, stellar physics, convolution and non-equilibrium radiation transfer theory, non-Euclidean geometries, mathematical modeling, galactic structure theory, and relativistic astronomy.
This interdisciplinary study draws from chemistry, biology, agriculture, physics, psychology, and law to apply techniques and principles of the natural and physical sciences to the analysis of evidence collected during criminal investigations. Students learn to perform tests on substances like glass, fiber, tissue, hair and body fluids.
Popular Universities for American University Program (Health & Applied Science)
|US Universities||Canadian Universities|
|Iowa State University||University of Lethbridge|
|Kansas State University||University of Manitoba|
|Louisiana State University||University of Saskatchewan|
|Michigan State University||University of Windsor|
|Ohio State University|| Memorial University of Newfoundland|
|Rutgers, State University of New Jersey|
|University at Buffalo|
|University of Iowa|
|University of Missouri-Columbia|
|University of Nebraska-Lincoln|
|University of Oklahoma-Norman|
|University of Wisconsin-Madison|
- Medical TechnologyMedical Laboratories or Offices, Clinics, Blood Banks, Research & Testing Laboratories, Government & Public Health AgenciesOccupations include Analytical Chemist, Bacteriologist, Blood Banking Technologist, Medical Technologist, Public Health Specialist, Microbiologist, Parasitologist, Toxicologist
- NeuroscienceMedical Laboratories, Hospitals, Universities, Research & Testing Laboratories, Government & Public Health Agencies
- Food Science and NutritionFitness Centers, Food or Pharmaceutical Companies, Public Health Agencies or Educational Institutions
- DieteticsSchools, Clinics, Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Cafeterias, Food Manufacturing, Marketing, Advertising, Wellness Programs, Sports Teams, Supermarkets or Health Care Facilities
- NursingHospitals, Clinics, Physician Offices, Schools, Private Duty & Home HealthNurses also work in the legal arena as Consultants & Lawyers with a Nursing Degree, for Insurance Companies, as Clinical Researchers, Sales Representatives for Drug Companies & Medical Equipment Firms or Teachers in Nursing Schools.
- NanotechnologyElectronics/Semiconductor Industry, Materials Science including Textiles, Polymers & Packaging, Auto & Aerospace Industries, Sports Equipment, Pharmaceuticals including Drug Delivery, Cosmetics, Biotechnology, Medical Fields, Optoelectronics, Environmental Monitoring & Control, Food Science including Quality Control & Packaging, Forensics, University & Federal Lab Research
- AstrophysicsUniversity Researcher, Research Equipment Designer, Planetarium Technician, Computational Astrophysicist, Solar Astronomer, Cosmologist, Planetary Scientist, Telescope Engineer, Support Astronomer or Professor
- ForensicsCrime Laboratories, Specialized Private Laboratories, Law Enforcement Agencies, Forensic Laboratories, Research Scientists, Medical Laboratories, Medical Examiner Offices, Hospitals, Private Firms or Universities
1+3 or 2+2 years